"A Fitting Monument to The Faith"

Selecting the Site

Initial Design

Construction Begins

Conflicts Halt Construction

Construction Resumes

Design Changes

Completion of Exterior

Construction of Interior

Cathedral Opens for Worship

Drive to Complete the Cathedral

Dedication

Opening Its Doors to the World

State and National Recognition

Previous PageNext Page

Design Changes


Tracery of transept rose window readied for stained glass

It was Mr. Ditmars' wish to de-emphasize the English-Irish Gothic in favor of the French Gothic, as best exemplified by such Cathedrals as Chartres, Laon and Rheims. His revised plans were accepted in June, 1913, with work beginning in August that same year. Among the changes was a reduction in the size of the front towers from the projected three hundred thirty-two feet to the present two hundred and thirty-two feet. The O'Rourke church was characterized by pointed spires, which Ditmars deleted after expressing concern over the strength of the tower foundations, and whether the foundation as constructed could support the added burden of a decorative cap. Other modifications included the elimination of the exterior nave buttresses and pinnacles; the substitution of three "wheel pattern" rose windows instead of the concentric circle design submitted by O'Rourke; and the increased use of sculpture at all entrances.

Website maintenance and photos provided by quiet heart images.