Completion of Exterior
Construction moved along steadily,
and by 1918, the greater part of the project had been completed
so as to allow erection of the steel supported slate roof and the
one hundred thirty-one foot copper "fleche" that tops
the intersection of the nave and transept. This part of the work
was completed in November, 1919.
With the exterior nearing completion,
Ditmars directed that the granite tympanum canopies and medallions
be erected. The actual carving of the medallions' scriptural scenes
and bishops' portraits took place on the Cathedral property between
April, 1922 and November, 1924 under the direction of Rochette and
Parzini of New York. Inside, work commenced on the insulation and
sealing of the terra-cotta window tracery.
Installation of boss stones in the
By July of 1924, plate glass had been
installed in all the windows, thus for the first time insulating
the Cathedral from the weather.