On October 19, 1954, the dream that had
been envisioned by Bishop Bayley became a reality. Archbishop Boland
dedicated Newark's mighty Cathedral in a ceremony in which he also
received the pallium -- the symbol of archepiscopal dignity -- from
Archbishop Amleto Cicognani, Apostolic Delegate to the United States.
Monsignor Joseph A. Doyle, who spent his entire priestly life in the
Cathedral parish, was appointed first rector.
Priests bless altar stones in the
Over the long years of Archbishop Boland's
episcopate, the Cathedral emerged as the center of faith and devotion
for the people of the Archdiocese. During his tenure, six bishops
were raised to the episcopal rank, countless numbers of priests ordained
at his hands, and thousands of laity, both young and old, cited for
their contributions to their Church and society. On December 2 and
8, 1972, thousands came to the Cathedral to celebrate the archbishop's
golden jubilee. On his retirement in 1974, they returned on June 28
of that year to hear him introduce his successor, the Most Reverend
Peter L. Gerety, who had been transferred from the See of Portland,
Maine, to the Archdiocese of Newark.
Consecration of bells by Archbishop